Transforming Narratives is a project to establish Birmingham as a global centre for contemporary arts from Pakistan and Bangladesh. The project brings together artists and cultural organisations from across artforms, who are located in Birmingham and cities in Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Transforming Narratives allows for new ideas and artistic practices to be shared, leading to the creation of new work that will give previously unheard voices an international platform.
The project has five strands of activity:
- Artistic programme
- Cultural leadership development
- Community consultation and engagement
- Archiving culturally diverse work produced by minority ethnic artists
- Critical exchange and dialogue
It is a three-year initative, taking place from 2018-2021. Transforming Narratives is managed by Culture Central, and delivered in partnership with The British Council and 12 Birmingham-based cultural partners.
- Birmingham Contemporary Music Group
- Birmingham Museums Trust
- Birmingham Repertory Theatre
- Fierce Festival
- Ikon Gallery
- Legacy West Midlands
- Midlands Arts Centre
- Sonia Sabri Company
- Soul City Arts / Aerosol Arabic
It is supported by Arts Council England and delivered in association with The British Council.
- Open call round 1: August until 31 October 2019. Successful applicants will be notified by early December 2019.
- Open Call round 2: January to March 2020. Successful applicants will be notified by early May 2020.
For information visit: https://www.transformingnarratives.com/default.aspx