The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and builds trust between them worldwide
We do this through our work in three “strategic business areas”
• Education and Society
We recognise that our activities impact on the environment and are committed to minimising this by improving our environmental performance. We will do this by setting and reviewing objectives and targets as set out in the British Council’s Environmental Framework Tool.
We commit to minimising our environmental impact by:
• Understanding and measuring of environmental impacts arising from our activities.
• Ensuring that we understand and comply with all legal obligations under the Pakistan Environmental Protection Act (PEPA-1997), together with all other applicable statutory provisions and relevant codes of practice.
• Setting environmental objectives and targets for activities with significant impact, mindful of the aspirations of our partners.
• Minimise energy and water usage in our buildings, vehicles and processes in order to conserve supplies, and minimise our consumption of natural resources, especially where they are non-renewable. Minimise the generation of waste and implement re-use or recycling initiatives wherever possible;
• Ensuring that our policy is understood, implemented and maintained by everyone in the organization and supported by appropriate training of the staff.
• Communicating our progress in reducing our environmental impact to internal and external stakeholders.
• Reviewing and maintain this policy to reflect changes in the organisation, government targets or significant external factors.
Our current focus is:
• To ensure the growth of our organisation is sustainable and that the environmental impacts of our work are assessed alongside social and economic considerations
• To reduce our consumption of energy and water, and the resulting carbon emissions
• To reduce waste by embedding of waste hierarchy of ’reduce, re-use and recycle”
• To use sustainable options when procuring goods and services
• To monitor and reduce the environmental impact of our business travel and explore innovative mechanisms to continue to deliver our cultural relations work effectively
• To use our creative skills and strengths as a global organisation to promote sustainability with climate change agenda and incorporating sustainable development themes across our portfolio of activity.