Commonwealth Scholarships are awarded to talented individuals with the potential to make a positive impact on the global stage.
As part of the UK’s ongoing commitment to the Commonwealth, each year around 700 students are given the chance to undertake postgraduate degrees with UK universities.
If you are from a Commonwealth country and believe you could make a difference to the world but you can’t afford to fund your UK studies on your own, then you could be the ideal candidate for a Commonwealth Scholarship.
What are Commonwealth Scholarships?
Commonwealth Scholarships are aimed at students from across the Commonwealth who would not otherwise be able to afford to study in the UK. By funding postgraduate studies in a range of different study formats, the scheme helps to support future innovators and leaders.
This historic award is the UK’s primary scholarship scheme focused on contributing to the UK’s international development aims. It is designed to attract outstanding talent to UK universities whilst supporting sustainable development overseas.
Who can apply?
To apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of a Commonwealth country. You will still be eligible if you are a refugee or British protected person.
You need to have an undergraduate honours degree of at least upper second class (2:1). If you wish to study a PhD, you will need an appropriate master’s degree too.
Finally, you must be unable to afford to study in the UK without the scholarship.
The eligibility criteria for each type of scholarship and fellowship vary. More information is available on the CSC website .
What type of awards are available?
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) offers:
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for least developed countries and fragile states)
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships (for low and middle income countries)
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for high income countries)
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships
CSC Development Themes:
All Commonwealth Scholarships are offered under six CSC development themes.
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
There is no restriction on what you can study but the CSC gives priority to applicants whose studies are most relevant to their development criteria.