IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the world’s most popular English language test. More than 2 million IELTS tests are taken each year.
Taking IELTS opens doors – it can help you live, study and work around the world. More than 8,000 organisations worldwide accept IELTS, including government, academic and employment institutions. In fact, IELTS is the only English language test accepted for immigration purposes by all countries that require one.
The IELTS test is designed to help you use English in your new life abroad. In less than three hours, it will assess all of your English skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking.
The most effective way of testing your English conversation skills is face-to-face. IELTS is the most widely accepted English language test with a one-on-one speaking test to assess your English language communication skills.
Designed by experts in English language assessment and trusted around the world, you can be sure that IELTS will give a fair and consistent assessment of your English skills. On 22 May, the UK Home Office issued guidance on secure English language test (SELT) providers. We encourage you to check the full text and FAQ here.
WHY TAKE IELTS WITH THE BRITISH COUNCIL?
The British Council has more than 75 years’ experience teaching and testing English. We have helped people in more than 130 countries gain English language qualifications that help them make the most of their chances in life. That’s a lot of experiences, and it means that if you take an English language test with us, you can be confident that you’ll be well looked after.
Here are just a few reasons why millions of people have taken IELTS with the British Council:
- Expert support: from videos and books to online interactive courses, you have access to the best preparation materials to help you do well in your test
- Free resources: Road to IELTS is the British Council’s popular online preparation course. When you register for an IELTS test with us you also get access to 30 hours of free training.
- Convenient dates and locations: we have eight different test locations in Pakistan, i.e. Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad, Peshawar, Gujrat and Hyderabad. This means that you have a huge range of options for where and when you can take your test.
- Easy booking: You can book your IELTS test online and take advantage of flexible payment options in Pakistan Rupees.
- Fast results: You will be able to see your results online within just 13 days of the date you take your test.
- SMS Service: You can opt to receive notifications about when you are registered, what your test dates are, specific venue details and results.
- Special arrangements: your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any disability or special needs that you may have. Find out more about how we can facilitate your special arrangements. Please note, you will need a medical certificate issued within the last two years at the time of registration.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Where are the IELTS exam papers checked?
Writing and Speaking assessments are carried out by trained and certiﬁcated examiners. The examiners work to clearly deﬁned criteria and are subject to extensive and detailed quality control procedures. Examiners are supported by the IELTS Professional Support Network, a system of recruitment, training, standardisation and monitoring. The Professional Support Network is jointly managed by British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia.
- If my handwriting is bad, does that have a negative impact on my scores?
Most types of handwriting can usually be assessed by examiners as they are trained to be able to do so. However, examiners can obviously only mark what is readable. If your writing difficulty that prevents you from writing you are advised in advance of your test to apply for an Amanuensis to whom you can dictate during the test or you can use a computer. These facilities need to be agreed in advance with the Centre
- For the entire list of FAQs, click here.