Are you an English teacher looking to study for a postgraduate qualification in English language teaching and the use of technology in the classroom?
The British Council is delighted to announce the opportunity for English teachers in Pakistan to apply for a fully funded scholarship to study for a Master's level qualification with two leading universities in the UK.
These scholarships are open to individuals working in or with the government school sector, who have not previously received a scholarship to study at a UK university.
The British Council is committed to providing opportunities for English language teachers to access world leading continuing professional development opportunities and reach their fullest potential. To support this in 2022-23 we are offering:
- Three fully-funded Scholarships for English Teachers for educators from Pakistan to complete the face-to-face MA Applied Linguistics and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) from Newcastle University.
- Three fully-funded Scholarships for English Teachers for educators from Pakistan to complete the online MSc Teaching English to Speakers of Other languages with a Specialism in Technology for Teaching from the University of St Andrews.
Two ways of studying
Option 1: Face-to-face / full-time
The MA programme from Newcastle University is a face-to-face course and runs from September 2022 to August 2023 and students are expected to be in the UK for the duration of the course.
Option 2: Online / part-time
For teachers who are unable to spend a year in the UK, we highly recommend the option of studying for the online MSc with the University of St Andrews. This includes a two-week fully-funded residential visit to St Andrews as part of the programme.
For both the face-to-face and online programmes, we are offering a full scholarship which will cover:
- IELTS exam costs
- Tuition fees
- Stipend for living expenses while in the UK
- Flights and connecting travel to the UK
- Visa costs and insurance
Successful scholars will form a network across the universities participating in this scholarships scheme and benefit from ongoing engagement with the British Council and each other to support the teaching and learning of young people in Pakistan, during and after completing the MA/MSc programme.
For more information
For information about eligibility criteria and how to apply, please visit the university websites:
We strongly recommend that you attend the webinars that will be held by each university to better understand the programme and scholarship details.
Recordings of the webinar will be made available via this web page shortly after the live events.
Deadline for applications:
- Newcastle University face-to-face MA programme: 3 May 2022
- University of St Andrews online MSc programme: 17 June 2022
Please note that in order to apply for the Scholarships for English Teachers, you must first apply to the MA programme and receive an offer from the university. Applications for scholarships will not be processed until this has been confirmed.