The British Council works with a wide range of schools across Pakistan, in both the public and private sectors. From policy level engagement to head teachers’ leadership skills development, teachers’ continuing professional development, student competitions and school to school partnerships, the British Council brings the best of UK expertise and innovation in school education and facilitates mutually beneficial relationships between school systems and professionals in Pakistan and the UK.
Connecting Classrooms Programme
Connecting Classrooms is the British Council's global education programme for schools, co-funded by the British Council and the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office. The programme was first launched in Pakistan in 2007. The programme offers school partnerships, professional development courses, accreditation and the chance to share best practice with international counterparts. In the last three years, the programme has connected more than 1200 schools from Pakistan with various schools in UK and other countries, providing educational benefits to young people. Connecting Classrooms has also built the capacity of more than 15,000 teachers and 5,000 head teachers to benefit over 100,000 students across Pakistan.
The Connecting Classrooms programme supports schools internationally to learn about, and collaborate on, the big issues that shape our world.
Connecting Classrooms is a flexible journey for schools around the world of learning, knowledge sharing and international collaboration. It entails the following:
- Partner with schools – collaborate with peers in the UK and other countries on school activities focusing on Core Skills. Partnerships offer teachers the chance to share experiences and learn from each other.
- Develop your skills – we encourage teachers and school leaders to continually improve their knowledge and expertise at embedding Core Skills in their teaching, by completing our training courses, available online and face-to-face.
- Classroom activities – complete activities with partner schools based on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Download one of our free resources to start embedding the principles and themes of the SDGs in your classroom. Core Skills, sometimes referred to as deep learning skills or 21st century skills, introduce young people to new ways of working, new ways of thinking, and new ways of living in a global world.
- Apply for funding – as a cluster of schools or one-to-one school partnership, schools (through their UK partner) can apply for funding to facilitate visits, events and training as part of the Connecting Classrooms journey.
- Accreditation – whatever stage of the Connecting Classrooms journey the schools have managed to reach, they will receive the relevant level of recognition to highlight their achievements in embedding international education in their school.
Schools are also invited to make use of the many classroom resources, free online training courses and other opportunities to partner with overseas schools with and through a range of other organisations.
Connecting Classrooms is about more than just understanding global issues; it is about developing both teachers and students to create positive change in the world. As part of Connecting Classrooms, the schools can:
- visit a partner school, collaborate and plan how to embed global themes into their curricula
- strengthen pre-existing partnerships and expand their network
- equip students with the skills they need to thrive in an increasingly global world
- take part in fully-funded training for leaders and teachers, face-to-face or online
- support the international collaboration of young people in their community and play a part in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals
- achieve the International School Award (ISA).
The programme has the following strands:
Continuing Professional Development
The teachers/head teachers can equip themselves with Core Skills in the classroom and develop the relevant skills and outlooks in young people. Both our online courses and face-to-face workshops provide an ideal opportunity for teachers to share experiences, increase knowledge, inspire one another, and discover new ways of doing dealing with challenges.